The MPS model follows international standards and models:
• it is in conformance with the International Standards ISO/IEC 12207 – Systems and Software Engineering - Software Life Cycle Processes and ISO/IEC15504 – Information Technology - Process Assessment;
• it is compatible with the CMMI-DEV model;
• it is based on Software Engineering best practices;
• it is appropriate to the reality of Brazilian companies and of countries alike.
The MPS.BR - Brazilian Software Process Improvement – program was established in December 11, 2003, under the coordination of SOFTEX - Association for Promoting the Brazilian Software Excellence, with two goals since the beginning:
• the first goal is technical, to establish and improve the MPS model, which consists of a Reference Model (MR-MPS) and a Assessment Method (MA-MPS);
• the second goal is to disseminate the MPS model on the market, with MR-MPS implementations and MPS-MA assessments in both small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and large public and private organizations.